Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Software

OS:
Since I knew that 720P would be pushing it a bit, I knew I needed a fast decoder like the CoreAVC decoder. This meant that I would have to run some form of Windows. I decided on Windows XP as I have a feeling that Vista would consume to many resources.
I installed Windows XP from a USB stick using this guide.
After installing I disabled restoring and eye candy.

Other software:
I chose to use XBMC as the media center software for the following reasons:
  • I like the look and "smoothness" of it
  • It enables me to remote control it from an iPod Touch (or iPhone) using XBMC Remote
  • It has a built in uPnP server that enables me to stream music to an iPod Touch upstairs using PlugPlayer
In order to be able to utilize the CoreAVC, I needed to setup XBMC to use an external player. I decided on using Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition (MPC HC)
To configure XBMC to use an external player see this guide

To troubleshoot and change settings, I have installed RealVnc on the HTPC. (Remote Desktop would also do).

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you can use a BCM970012 hardware decoder card, it is using the mini-pci-express slot. That card will give you MPEG4 H.264.

    http://www.slashgear.com/acer-netbook-gets-1080p-hd-upgrade- with-broadcom-bcm70012-mod-2750341/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've had a look at it, and if I ever need to run 1080P I will definitely try it. It is pretty cheap on eBay. But for now 720P is fine for me since my display is only 42"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just set up an atom 330 and will be doing exactly the same thing with a broadcom card. Would it be possible to post your advancedsettings.xml configuration. Thats the only thing I'm not to sure abot setting up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The newest XBMC (from repository) uses playercorefactory.xml to configure external players. It is pretty straightforward.

    Take a look at http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_use_an_External_Player_for_media_playback

    I cannot post my xml file here, as blogspot seems to think it is php or aspx.

    But I am sure the link above will send you in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete