Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Assembly

The memory stick was easy to insert and the motherboard came with SATA cable and power connector for the HDD, so that part was easy.

Since I want to place the HTPC in a cabinet along with my HiFi-gear, I don't really want to fork out the money for a fancy case. So I decided to just mount the motherboard on a piece of cardboard with a few pieces of scotch tape :-).
I did the same with the hard drive, so it could just lie next to the motherboard in the metal cabinet.

For power I used the 5$ (12V, 5A) power brick bought on ebay from Hong Kong, and it plugs right in to the motherboard.

When I wanted to hook up the audio out to my DTS receiver, I hit the first snag - the
D945GSEJT does not come with a cable or bracket for SPDIF digital out. Oh well, it has a header on the motherboard, that uses the same kind of plug that a HDD led cable for connecting a motherboard to a case LED, so I sourced such a plug from another computer and soldered an RCA cable and jack to it. Problem solved.

The setup looks a bit messy, but who cares when it is locked away in a cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment