Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Hardware

I have based the HTPC on the following hardware:
  • Mainboard and CPU: Intel D945GSEJT with embedded Atom N270 processor (656 DKK ~ 125USD)
  • RAM: 2GB Corsair Value DDR2 SO-DIMM 200 pin (180DKK ~ 34USD)
  • Power brick: 12V - 5A AC to DC converter for LCD monitor (from ebay.de) (47DKK ~ 9USD)
  • HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EADS (548DKK ~ 104USD)
  • HD Decoder: Broadcom BCM70012 (100DKK ~ 20USD)
Total price with HDD: 1531DKK ~ 292USD
Total price without HDD: 983DKK ~ 188USD
Note that the hardware is probably 20-30% cheaper if it is bought in the USA.

Since the HTPC will be stored away in a cabinet under the TV, I am building it without a cabinet. One of the advantages of the D945GSEJT is that there is an onboard DC-DC converter, which means that a traditional power supply is not needed. A standard 12V power brick is all it takes.

I use my Panasonic 42" PX80 plasma as display, and the HTPC will be hooked up to a Denon AVR-2106 receiver and a pair of homemade speakers

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I tried the same as you, although I didn't know that Intel had a motherboard with integrated power supply, so I had to buy a PicoPSU. I use it as a multimedia player.

    http://dhs.webatu.com

    But next time I buy the same board as you did. Looks much better (and even cheaper).


    Soitjes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did u root both audio & video over HDMI

    ReplyDelete