Sunday, November 15, 2009

Broadcom Hardware Decoder added

And it rocks! CPU consumption is now down to 10-20% for 720P and 15-30% for 1080P.
It is called Broadcom BCM970012 or BCM70012 aslo known as Broadcom Crystal HD and so far it has accelerated all the H264 videos I have thrown at it. However, even though the CPU load is very low even for 1080P, it sometimes stutters a bit. I suspect this might be because the GMA950 GPU is having trouble keeping up with 1080P. I have experimented a bit with different renderers (Haali, VMR9, EVR etc.) but haven't quite found the perfect match. Fortunately I don't really need to be able to play 1080P at the moment. But it would be nice to get it working though.

I bought it on ebay for 20$ (~100 DKK). It is about the size of half a Visa card and it is very easy to install. You slip it in, and install the drivers from the HP Mini 110, then you add a new external filter in MPC HC called Broadcom Decoder, move it up the priority list and that is it.
It also works in MediaPortal built in player.

7 comments:

  1. I'm planning to build the exact same mediacenter.
    I already own the mainboard for a while and wanted to use xbmc on ubuntu but the bcm(9)70012 card is still unsuported.

    Can you tell me how high the cpu-load is without the add-on card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 720P using the CoreAVC codec, the load is typically between 45-90%

    1080P is not watchable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Thank you for this blog.

    Could you test your system under XBMC Live, please? There is no need to install it, it boots fine from a USB stick.
    I think 1080p should be smoother under linux rather than Windows.

    I'm choosing between ION and D945GSEJT+Broadcom. Intel board has a PCI slot which is useful for me because I can install Audigy SE for quality 5.1 analog output.
    I do not use a reciever with S/PDIF input, it costs much more than Audigy SE :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an Acer Revo R1600 & I bought a broadcom chip as well and use BS Player Pro - no studdering or glitches at all with 1080p videos. I went through a ton of players and codecs to get there, but it works great now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very very sad, when I ordered Broadcom decoredor and plugged into my HTPC - I saw no results in HD playing (CPU load over 90% and video not watchable). I have XP SP3, 1GB RAM. Problem was the right driver. Finaly I used from Broadcom.com (http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/) and the party has begun! IT WORKS and CPU load is up to 30% maximally! Yahooooooo :-) Thanks to this page http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1022-page2.html

    ReplyDelete